The Music Department at Barking Abbey School encourages and supports musicians of all abilities and styles to play and perform as part of the wide variety of music on offer here.
All students have the opportunity to play instruments from around the world and utilise teamwork skills by working in groups or build their self-confidence by performing solos in front of their peers.
Pupils can participate in extra-curricular clubs and contribute to the life of the school by taking part in our Winter and Summer Concerts.
The Music Department offers the National Certificate and Subsidiary Diploma course at this level. The course provides a more practical, real-world approach to learning alongside a key theoretical background.
• The Level 2 BTEC First Award in Music is equivalent to one GCSE
• 3 units are coursework based which will include live informal performances, recordings, concerts, video diaries, log books, portfolios etc.
One Unit is an External Exam based on The Music Industry
• In order to complete each unit, students will be graded Pass, Merit or a Distinction
The units studied will vary depending on the strengths and interests of students but units studied in the past include:
Unit 1: The Music Industry
Unit 2: Managing a Music Product
Unit 5: Introducing Solo Performance
Unit 7: Introducing Live Sequencing
More experienced musicians have the opportunity to study the new Edexcel Spec for GCSE. Pupils will develop the following skills:
- Performance: Pupils train on their chosen instruments and aim to achieve a Grade 4 standard performance by the end of the course.
- Ensemble skills: Pupils rehearse in an ensemble setting towards a final group performance.
- Composition: Students create musical scores using specialist computer software such as Sibelius and Acoustica Mixcraft.
- Listening/Analysing: The class explores music from different genres throughout history and the modern era.