At Barking Abbey we pride ourselves on making the transition from primary to secondary as seamless as possible whereby students settle into a welcoming environment quickly, feeling supported and enthusiastic about the challenges ahead.
A wide range of initiatives are taken each year to maintain a rewarding experience for our new students and to build up valuable, positive partnerships with parents.
Here are some of the ways we ensure a smooth and effective transition.
- Parent/Pupil open evening at the upper school
- Parent/Pupil open morning at lower school in which given a guided tour by current Barking Abbey, Year 7 students.
- Parent and Student ‘get to know our school’ booklets
- Year 7 Pastoral team visit primary schools to meet the pupils
- Year 7 pastoral team meet student’s primary school teachers and discus each individual student who will be joining the cohort.
- Current Year 7 and 8 pupils visit primary schools and run workshops in Maths, PE and English
- In-house capture form completed on every student prior to their start at the school collating profiles of student’s interests, academic and social history.
- ‘Meet and Greet the Staff ’ coffee afternoon for parents
- Year 6 – Induction Day (June)
- One to One individual visits to the school
- Year 7 – Induction Day (September)
- Year 7, Parental link evening
- ‘Settling in’ parental evening with academic mentors
Year 7, Student Questionnaire 2015
- I am happy with my new school -99% agree
- Do you feel safe at Barking Abbey School – 98% agree
- Barking Abbey has a friendly atmosphere – 96% agree
- I feel like I have settled in well to Barking Abbey – 98% agree
Year 7, Student Questionnaire Comments 2015
- Everyone’s welcoming
- I have made new friends even though came from a different school
- Teachers are friendly and make the students feel safe
- I feel independent
- I love everything
- I feel like I have settled in well to Barking Abbey because the school community is very friendly and we all support each other
Year 7, Parental Questionnaire 2015
- My child is happy at Barking Abbey – 100% Agree
- My child was helped to settle in well when he/she started at Barking Abbey – 98% Agree
- I receive valuable information from the school about my child’s progress – 99% Agree
- My child is well look after at this school – 98% Agree
- I would recommend this school to another parent – 99% Agree